The annual Cider Press Review Book Award offers a $1,500 prize, publication, and 25 author’s copies of a book length collection of poetry. Author receives a standard publishing contract. Initial print run is not less than 1,000 copies. SUBMISSION PERIOD IS SEPTEMBER 1 to NOVEMBER 30 ANNUALLY.
The Editor’s Prize offers a $1,000 prize, publication, and 25 author’s copies of an author’s first or second book length collection of poetry. Author receives a standard publishing contract. Initial print run is not less than 1,000 copies. SUBMISSION PERIOD IS APRIL 1 to JUNE 30 ANNUALLY
Submit 48-80 pages of original poetry in English not previously published in book form (individual poems may have been previously published in journals, anthologies, and chapbooks). BY SUBMITTING A MANUSCRIPT TO THE CIDER PRESS REVIEW BOOK AWARD AND REMITTING ENTRY FEE, THE AUTHOR AGREES TO BE BOUND BY OUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
Manuscripts may be submitted either electronically or by mail.
All manuscripts should be typed, single-spaced, and paginated, and must include a title page listing ONLY the name of the manuscript.
Manuscripts must include a table of contents page(s), and an acknowledgments page listing previous publication credits. We strongly suggest authors place the manuscript name and page number in the header or footer of each page.
To submit manuscripts electronically:
- CPR now uses Submittable for online submissions. Please link to the Submittable platform at https://ciderpressreview.submittable.com/ or access the link via http://ciderpressreview.com/submit
- An entry fee of $26.00 is required, and can be paid through Submittable.
To submit manuscripts by mail:
- Manuscripts must be postmarked between April 1 and June 30 or September 1 and November 30.
- Enclose 2 title pages: Name, mailing address, phone number, and email should appear on the first title page only. (Does not apply to electronically-submitted manuscripts, for which the entry from serves as cover sheet.)
- Mailed, hard-copy manuscript should be typed, single-spaced, paginated, and bound with a spring clip.
- No SASE Required; Manuscripts cannot be returned. All notifications will be made via email or on the website. Cider Press assumes no responsibility for damaged or lost manuscripts.
- Pay entry fee via PayPal or include a check or money order for $26.00 payable to Cider Press Review.
Mail submissions to:
Cider Press Review
PO Box 33384
San Diego, CA 92163
All entrants will receive a copy of the winning book.
Entrants from countries outside of the United States will be asked to pay an additional $7 postage surcharge at the time finished books are mailed out.
BY SUBMITTING A MANUSCRIPT TO THE CIDER PRESS REVIEW BOOK AWARD AND REMITTING THE ENTRY FEE, THE AUTHOR AGREES TO BE BOUND BY OUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
We subscribe to the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP) Contest Code of Ethics:
“CLMP’s community of independent literary publishers believes that ethical contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest. To that end, we agree to 1) conduct our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors; 2) to provide clear and specific contest guidelines defining conflict of interest for all parties involved; and 3) to make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public. This Code recognizes that different contest models produce different results, but that each model can be run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.”